TIPS TO NATURALLY FRESHEN YOUR HOME
Living a green life means reducing our exposure to toxic chemicals. In our desire to use artificial fragrances to make our living spaces smell beautiful, we often overlook the harsh effects of the chemicals used in the products which can be often hormone disrupting at worst and irritants at best.
Instead of spraying fragrances from a can of fake flower aroma, here are a tips you could use to ‘freshen’ up your home the non-toxic way! :
- Choose non-toxic cleaning products that won’t leave smells or residues.
- Vacuum, sweep and dust regularly. Hair and dander from pets can cause lingering odors, so regular vacuuming is a must.
- Baking soda can be left in small, vented containers around your home to help absorb bad odors.
- Place citrus peels in a pot of water and heat to gently fill your home with a subtle fragrance from the natural oils.
- Simmer cinnamon sticks, cloves, or any other scented spice in a pot of water until scent permeates your living space.
- Place a small amount of vanilla extract or other natural flavoring in a small bowl and set it out of the way.
- Lastly and most importantly, open a few windows. There’s nothing as refreshing as fresh air!